Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Geje Eustaquio relishes return to main event spotlight

Geje Eustaquio making his way down the ramp.
It took him awhile, but Geje Eustaquio finally gets a main event billing at a ONE Championship event.

Three years since bowing to Adriano Moraes back in September 2014, and after participating in five bouts, "Gravity" is set to face off against Kairat Akhmetov in the main event of ONE: Total Victory, which will take place this coming September 16 at the Jakarta Convention Center in the Indonesian capital.

Eustaquio bounced back from his loss to Moraes by going 3-2 in those five matches, concluding that stretch with a split decision rematch win against Anatpong Bunrad last May. He believes that being matched against Akhmetov in the main event of ONE: Total Victory is a privilege, "I worked hard to be back in this position again. It's truly an honor and a privilege. Thank you ONE Championhip for the opportunity and the trust to headline a stacked card like this one. I will showcase my best skills in this bout and take home the win for the Philippines."

He adds, "Kairat Akhmetov is a world-class athlete in this sport. I can't wait to test my skills against him inside the cage. When the cage door closes, it's time for battle. I will make sure to come well prepared for this bout."

Geje credits his consistent improvements over the past few fights as his key to success. To go up against Akthmetov, he has focused intently on his wrestling and grappling, planning on making those disciplines a strength, noting "My ground game is coming. My wrestling is coming. I believe if you are going to compare it with others, it's not very low in terms of performance in wrestling or grappling. Honestly speaking, I am not that far behind."

Akhmetov totes a 23-1 record, and is fresh off a loss to Moraes in a rematch to determine the legitimate ONE Flyweight World Champion. And the Kazakh would like no less than to bounce back and possibly get a third match with the current champion.

Eustaquio is aware of his opponent's background, noting that he is prepared as to wherever the bout will go through," and he has "a well-planned strategy" in mind.

A victory could possibly lead this member of Team Lakay to a future title shot against Moraes and a chance to avenge his defeat. He says, " I want this win, I want to have a remarkable winning result, and then I want to move forward onto that flyweight belt. I am back in the main event. My next goal is to be back in the title hunt."

For more details about ONE: Total Victory and other news about ONE Championship, just check out www.onefc.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment