Thursday, April 4, 2019

Pasig Grindhouse set to take their talents into the Super Quest

Joshua Munzon leading the way for Pasig-Grindhouse
Tagged as one of the favorites for the Chooks-to-Go Pilipinas 3x3 President's Cup, the Pasig Grindhouse Kings definitely did not have an easy road to fulfill such expectations.

That was very clear from the outset, as they had to deal with ultra-physical games throughout the five legs that took place at the SM Megamall and SM Fairview.

But the Kings persevered, going 21-2 to become the overall champions of President's Cup, making the finals in all five legs and winning three of them. Doing just that allowed them to become PhP 1 million richer, as well as punching their ticket to the FIBA 3x3 World Tour Masters in Doha, as well as guaranteeing their participation at the FIBA 3x3 Asia-Pacific Super Quest, which takes place this weekend at the SM Megamall Fashion Hall.

A trio of Fil-Americans serve as the core of Pasig Grindhouse, with Joshua Munzon, Troy Rike, and Taylor Statham playing all five legs. Dylan Ababou played the first four legs before an injury forced him out for the final leg. Leo de Vera replaced Ababou in that particular leg, and for the upcoming Super Quest, Nikola Pavlovic steps in to provide valuable assistance as they compete against some of the best 3x3 teams in the region.

Pavlovic shares, "I can just promise that we will give our best for the Super Quest. I'm new to the team and I have a lot to work on with them. The next days will be important for our team." The Serbian knows a thing or two about top-tier 3x3 basketball, having played for Novi Sad Al-Wahda.

For Joshua, Troy, and Taylor, the success has been definitely satisfying.

Rike says, "This is my first championship here in the Philippines. Everyone put in the hard work which pushed me to find my next level. It was a long season, but I'm glad about how it ended." The Wake Forest alum also shares, "Representing the Philippines is my number one goal ever since. 3X3 or five-on-five, it's just a huge honor."

Munzon adds, "Feels good. We put in a lot of hard work, extra hours. For everything to pay off, it's definitely satisfying." The top-ranked Filipino in the 3x3 rankings adds, "It's an honor for me to represent my motherland. I'm grateful for the opportunity to be out here."

As for Statham, "The past few weeks, I've been talking a lot with my mom and my grandma about this opportunity to represent the Philippines. I mean, it's just a surreal feeling to represent the Philippines." He also says, "The work is far from done. I'm excited but I'm already thinking about what we need to win the Super Quest."

Pasig Grindhouse is scheduled to play on Saturday against Jakarta West Bandits at 1140am and Absolute 3x3 of Chinese-Taipei at 3pm in pool play. Do well there and they advance into the next round in this Level Eight tournament in the FIBA 3x3 pyramid.

No comments:

Post a Comment