Thursday, January 4, 2018

Daniel Theis conference call with the International NBA media

Daniel Theis holding the ball for the Celtics at Madison Square Garden (Nathaniel S. Butler/NBAE via Getty Images)
Earlier this week, the NBA had a conference call with select members of the international media as part of the run-up to the 2018 edition of the NBA London Game, slated to take place later this month. It involved a few members of the Boston Celtics, who will face the Philadelphia 76ers for that matchup.

One of those involved is Daniel Theis. And here are some of his thoughts.

On being one the Celtics fan favorites: "I would say the Boston fans are special anyway, so every game is sold out. Every play I get, it's loud from the fans for me. I mean, I should say some fans. It's an honor for me, for sure. I just try to play like I've played the last years, bring energy."

On whether he gets teased by the other German NBA players (All other Germans in NBA are with struggling teams: Maxi Kleber and Dirk Nowitzki with Dallas, Dennis Schroeder with Atlanta, Paul Zipser with Chicago): "For the other German players, now in Chicago they've made a run. They're getting better. They have played the last year on the highest level. [Chicago's Paul Zipser] played a lot of games. So I hope all the other German players and teams they play for, they're going to get better this season."

On excelling his role as an off the bench big: "I don't mind starting or coming off the bench for the game. Like I said, I've been doing this in Bamberg for years. I just try to bring energy, play defense when I step on the court. For me, it doesn't matter if I start the game, come off the bench or whatever, so whenever the team needs me, I try to be ready."

On whether he has friends and family heading to London for the game:  "I've got my brother coming with his girlfriend to London. My wife is coming from Boston to London. And I've got some friends or people I know that play in London, like all around London, soccer, they're coming to the game, too."

On the prospects of a European NBA franchise: "I think it would work, but we'll see how it goes in London. I think London is a good place to play also for NBA teams and franchises, for sure."

On travel concerns with regards to playing in London: "I think with the schedule, with so many games, playoff games, I think we have close to 100 games, it's hard  to do it because it takes a week for us and Philadelphia to play one game in London. I think it's possible for one or two games in a season when a team goes around like two or three cities maybe, but permanent or for different teams I think it's hard to get it done because the schedule is so packed with all the games and everything.
I would say if teams go around like when we would go to London, we could go maybe to one or two places. But it takes a lot of time for us to travel there, prepare everything, then of course with jet lag, time difference, I think it's six hours or seven hours to London. But for this one game, I think it's going to be special for both teams, for fans all over the world or in Europe. They have a chance to come to London and see the Boston Celtics and the Philadelphia 76ers. I think it's going to be a big thing for the NBA and also just for people and fans in Europe.

On whether his friends in the Premier League or the senior German national football team has touched base with him or have shown inclination to watch the game in London: Yes. One guy plays in Germany first league. I don't know where he plays right now, somewhere in -- I think in the Premier League. He's a friend of mine, plays in Germany first division. He's coming to the game. I think the German guys or some of them that play for Arsenal are also interested in basketball. I think we're going to meet with some of the players, for sure."

On dealing with playing an 82-game season as a rookie: "We played almost 70 games last year with Bamberg with the EuroLeague, but we had the chance to rest a lot of players in the German league, too. With the NBA's schedule, the games are like back to back. We've played 40 games right now, and the season is two months old. Especially our schedule was really tough because we only played two games right now the whole season with two days in between. I think that's the part that makes it harder than in Europe because in Europe, with EuroLeague, you have Monday to Wednesday for practice or preparing, and then you know you play maybe Thursday, Saturday, like two games a week. And right now with the NBA schedule, we play like four to five games a week."

On dealing with the protective mask: "Since I got the second one, the fitted one, it's way better so I can see more. But I thought it's gone for the London game. I'm not going to miss it."

On comparing the NBA style of play to Europe's: "I would say the NBA game is a little bit -- it's faster, more athletic than Euro, and also offensively you take open shots. Even if it's the first pass, you take it if the open shot is a good shot. In Europe, we used to play in Bamberg, you run through the system, you make the defense run, so you are a little bit more patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment