Saturday, January 6, 2018

Malditas raring to go for the AFC Asian Cup


Ongoing right now in Corona, California is the latest training camp for the Philippines Senior Women's National Team. Set to last for a few months, this allows the coaching staff led by Rich Boon to fine-tune things in the run-up to the AFC Women's Asian Cup set this April.

There are currently five locally-based camp participants in Corona. Four of them managed to answer a few questions relating to the campaign.

On the #RoadToJordan:

Camille Rodriguez: I'm very excited with the journey ahead of us. We're already one foot in making it to the WCQ, so we need to perform our best in April to get both feet in for the World Cup. And it's the World Cup we're talking about! That's something every footballer can ever dream to be participating in! Personally I'm in this a hundred percent, nothing less. I'm looking forward to learning from my coaches, teammates, opponents, and the whole experience. At the end of the day, this is for the betterment of Philippine football, especially for the women's game.

Sara Castaneda: Mainly just excited about it, especially because it is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Inna Palacios: We want to give our best efforts when we get to Jordan. Having the camp in California is providing the training and recovery we will need in our preparations up until April. It’s exciting to fresh faces and other girls who want to represent the Philippines, all fighting for a spot to help qualify [for France] in Jordan. It will be just a small step on improving women’s football back home.

Patrice Impelido: I’m excited for the start of camp and to meet the entire coaching staff and my teammates. I know it’ll be very competitive because we’re all fighting for a spot on the team. But it’s great that we’re able to start preparations early. This preparation will be very crucial because it’s only three months before the tournament. Team chemistry will be very important. I’m ready to face the challenges ahead.

On representing the locally-based players:

PI: Definitely feeling the pressure, but it’s also an honor. There will be only seven representing the local talent. Being from the US originally, having played Division I soccer, living in the Philippines the past three years, having the most international experience, having been assistant coach for the youth national teams, I have the great responsibility to share my experience, guide, and be an example for all the players.

On the likelihood of being homesick:

CR: It's always going to be hard being away from family but I rest easy knowing they're only one message away. Besides, I have pieces of home with me — my teammates. I'd also like to believe that my previous experience performing my student-athlete and national team duties have prepared me for this. While this will be the longest time away from home yet, commitments really call for sacrifices, and this sacrifice is one I'm more than willing to make.

IP: It’s weird being away from home and not having the vibe of the Philippines, but this is the sacrifice asked of us to represent the flag. It’s important to push through adversity. We all come from different places and having us altogether for this camp helps us bond and get some team chemistry which will hopefully show on the field.

On balancing being a student-athlete with national team duties:

SC: Hopefully they will allow me to go back and forth during our breaks so I can still play games.

No comments:

Post a Comment