Thursday, January 4, 2018

Al Horford conference call with the International NBA media

Al Horford passing the ball during Boston's game vs Houston. (Brian Babineau/NBAE via Getty Images)
Earlier this week, the NBA had a conference call with select members of the international media as part of the run-up for the 2018 edition of the NBA London Game, slated to take place later this month. It involved a few members of the Boston Celtics, who will face the Philadelphia 76ers for that matchup.

One of those involved is Al Horford. And here are some of his thoughts.

On the Celtics having what it takes to be competitive against Cleveland: "I feel like we've been playing really good basketball. I feel like we have a really young group that our guys just keep getting better as the season goes along. As a group, we're going to keep getting better, and I do feel like we have what it takes to contend for a championship."

On having the chance to play in London (Al missed the chance to play when Atlanta played there a few years ago): "I'm very excited. As soon as we found out earlier this summer we were going to play in London, my wife and I were just ecstatic, very happy about it. I'm really trying to make the most out of the trip. We've been to London before. We love the city. So we're looking forward to spending a couple days over there."

On facing the Cavs: "It'll be a fun matchup tomorrow, to go against Cleveland and see some of the former teammates. It's going to be very competitive. We're excited about the challenge."

On how the young players are able to immediately contribute: "I've been very encouraged by how quickly some of our younger guys have been able to come along and help us as a team. Part of our success is because they've been able to do what Coach [Brad Stevens] is asking of them. They've been put in tough positions, and they've been able to handle it really well. I feel like they're going to continue to get better, and I'll be very eager to see how we're looking at the end of the year because I feel like they'll be much more comfortable and we'll be better as a group."

On playing with Aron Baynes: "Playing with Aron Baynes has been a lot of fun, not only on the court but off the court. He's a great teammate. He's the kind of guy that you want to have on your side because he's going to play the right way. He's going to compete. And he really takes a lot of pressure off of me on the defensive end. I'm able to get out and run a little more and do different things."

On how the team has handled the lineup changes: "I think that one of the strengths of our team is the ability of always being able to change. Coach has challenged us a lot, changing lineups, because of, like you said, injuries or things. But I've felt like our team has handled that really well. Guys are not making excuses. We're stepping up to the challenge, and we're trying to make the most of what we have."

On Kyrie being a factor in improving his game: "Kyrie is a great competitor. He's a guy that has proved that he can play at a really high level, and I think that he's made our team better. He has, in his own way, challenged me to be better, especially to be more aggressive on the offensive end, and just striving to be a better player. So it's been a lot of fun being able to play alongside him."

On Guerschon Yabusele not yet breaking through the main rotation: "I still believe it, he can play. Sometimes in the NBA, some guys are able to figure things out quicker than others. Sometimes it takes a full year for you to totally understand a new system, what's your role, what's expected. But Guerschon, he still impresses me. He has gotten some opportunities in the past couple weeks. It's a long season. I feel like he'll continue to get some more opportunities. But I think that people have to understand that he will be at that level -- he'll be able to play. He'll be able to do a lot of special things. But sometimes it just takes time, and he'll get his opportunity."

On having fun being part of a successful team: "I think the focus always has to be on the night tonight, but I do sit back and look at the big picture. We've had a lot of adversity as a group, a lot of guys that have never played in the NBA that have come in and had an impact. I look at all that and I do appreciate the progress and how well we've played. But then also at the same time, I always bring myself back down, and it's important for us to focus on the game to game and the process and just continue to get better. And I think that's the key for our group."

No comments:

Post a Comment