Thursday, July 27, 2017

​​ Jomary Torres set for ONE Championship debut

ONE Championship revealed on Tuesday another fight that will take place on the ONE: Kings and Conquerors MMA event at the Cotai Arena of The Venetian Macao this coming August 5, an atomweight matchup between Jomary Torres and Rika Ishige.

Jomary Torres is set to make her ONE Championship debut at ONE: Kings and Conquerors, fresh from making her MMA debut back in August 2016 for the URCC, defeating Krisna Limdaga via unanimous decision.

Torres says, "It's my first time to compete in ONE Championship. I am honored and blessed to be in this top-notch organization, which is widely considered as the front-runner of MMA in the region. Of course, I am aiming to get a big win. I have worked hard just to make it here. I won't waste this opportunity."

The prospect from the Catalan Fighting System gym is set to face off against a well-rounded MMA competitor in the form of Rika Ishige.

"Tinydoll" is of Thai and Japanese heritage, coming from a family of martial arts practitioners. Her late father took up judo, while her older sister took up taekwondo. She began her martial arts training at the age of nine, learning aikido, karate, and taekwondo.

Ishige is currently 2-0 this year, defeating Audreylaura Boniface via first round TKO last March, then forcing Nita Dea to tap out in the first round last May.

When asked about her upcoming opponent, Jomary says, "We are keenly studying my opponent for this fight. She is a true martial artist. It is part of her lifestyle. It is in her blood. I know what she is capable of doing inside the cage. She has a good Muay Thai base. Aside from that, she also has a good ground game. But I am coming into this bout very prepared. I am not giving myself any room for error." She adds, "My foundation is Wushu. I have no problem if she wants to fight standing up. I am already expecting that she will trade strikes with me. I can strike very hard, too."

Jomary also believes that the key to defeating Rika lies within her, noting that "I will work hard on myself. I like to concentrate my training on myself. It does not matter about the opponent. The important thing for success is self-confidence. The key to self-confidence is preparation, and I am well prepared for this fight. If I have good preparation, I can fight anybody."

For further updates on ONE Championship, do check out www.onefc.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment