Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Former Ginebra teammates sound off on Helterbrand comeback

Impactful debut for Jayjay Helterbrand
With Jayjay Helterbrand ending his retirement from competitive basketball, his former teammates in Ginebra have given their support for the basketball icon.

Helterbrand led Imus Bandera-Khaleb Shawarma/GMC to a 78-75 victory over the Caloocan Supremos-Victory Liner back on July 13, contributing a near triple-double with fourteen points, eight rebounds, and eight assists. He also added a couple of steals and a block in just under thirty minutes of action.

Here are some quotes from his former Ginebra buddies:

LA Tenorio: "I wish him luck. I still see Jayjay playing. He can still play. He is fit to play. I think ginawa niya yun for the fans. Fans are really looking forward to see him play. I wish him well sa career niya sa MPBL and sana injury-free. Yun naman ang gusto natin. Makapaglaro siya nang maayos and makapagpasaya siya ng tao. Sana marami pa siyang ma-inspire na player sa ginawa niya."

Justin Brownlee: "I like to see him coming back to play. A talent like him, I still think he has a lot left in the tank. I miss him a lot but I am proud of and happy for him. He loves the game of basketball and this is another opportunity for him to play. He has been missing it so I am happy for him."

Joe Devance: "I am very excited. I am very proud of Jayjay. I thought it was going to be the end of his basketball career but to see him resurrect himself, he really loves the game that's why it's hard for him to be away. I'm sure he is going to do well in that league. The league is doing well, and making a lot of noise right now. I am happy for him."

All three agree that Jayjay will play an essential role for the Bandera with his basketball IQ, experience, and that trademark never-say-die attitude that made him a Ginebra legend.

Joe says, "He is going to be the same leader he has always been. He is going to bring that same game to that team and for sure it is going to be a lot of fun for them."

LA shares, "Jayjay is a fighter. Sila ni Mark (Caguioa) ang epitome ng never-say-die. I am sure, madadala niya yun sa Imus. And of course, fan-favorite yan eh."

Justin adds, "From what I've seen before he retired, he's still got some speed and he definitely can still score. But I think at this point of his career, his IQ is off the charts and unbelievable."

No comments:

Post a Comment