Saturday, May 20, 2017

Pia Cayetano on current state of volleyball

Taguig Representative Pia Cayetano went on Facebook recently to address certain matters, which included the state of volleyball. Posted here is the excerpt from that video message that concerns the sport.

I feel sad that a lot of our very good players, most of them come from the collegiate associations, seem to be having a hard time making themselves available or to be picked by the NSA. This is my two cents' worth: I know it is never easy pulling out and selecting the best players. But it has to be done  It's a leadership issue that the NSA must be accountable for. We have two commercial leagues, and my understanding is that a lot of players from one league are in (the middle of their playing) season right now and they are not able to try out. Whatever the reason is, I'm not privy to the details, but this is a leadership issue. The NSA must find a way so that the country will be represented by the best players that we have. And if you must work with every commercial league, every coach and manager of every player, then so be it, to be able to form the best teams. Let's make this easy for our players.



When I played for the national team, I saw the difficulty, the hardships that my team mates and I had to go through because we had to balance being a student, and then being a player. And then for those who have graduated, some of them were even studying in the provinces, they had to go on leave. Mahirap maging national player. And that has not changed. Hindi ko kayang sabihin na mas magagaling yung mga players noong 80s, noong 90s, 'di ko po masasabi yun because I am a parent of student-athletes and I've seen how hard student-athletes work, whether my kids and the kids who I'm very close to are football players, but whether you are a football player, a track and field player, swimmer or volleyball player, mahirap i-balance.

That's why I call on the NSA to do your part in guiding these young girls, young boys, to be able to harness the best of them and make it accessible for them to try out. Hindi lang yung basta sasabihin nyo na matitigas yung ulo, or spoiled at hindi basta pumupunta kasi honestly, hindi po ako basta-basta nakakakita ng spoiled na player. Kasi most of them really work hard. So I call on the NSA to step up and show leadership and work with the different commercial leagues, players, commercial teams, coaches and managers to find the best.

Wag yung basta nagbibitiw ng salita at sasabihin na di nag-attend, wala. Eh may liga, may players na mayroon ding ibang commitment. Work with them so that hindi sila absent at hindi rin sila AWOL sa ibang commitment nila.I could go on but I'm always frustrated when we are not here to support our players. They deserve our support. And our country, the fans, and the supporters deserve to see the best players, their favorite players, competing (for the country)."

No comments:

Post a Comment