Friday, January 10, 2014

The Calvin Abueva - Jared Dillinger tussle

Meralco has now won back-to-back games since Danny Ildefonso joined the team, winning 74-65 over Alaska. However, this video below caught everyone's attention.



This sequence ended with just double technicals on Calvin Abueva and Jared Dillinger.

Quotes:

From Interaksyon:

Jared Dillinger: “We’re two men with high emotions going after the ball. No hard feelings between me and Calvin. He works hard, he’s intense. We just knew the importance of this game is high so both teams were really working their butts off tonight. It’s just two guys going after the ball playing with intensity.”

Luigi Trillo: “Both teams wanting to win and it’s part of it. It’s basketball. We need to be better.”

Also from Interaksyon:

Fred Uytengsu: “Here, Dillinger was clearly seen choking Calvin. The last time there was strangulation in the league, (Renaldo) Balkman was banned in the league and that was against his own teammate. Watch closely, Dillinger realized he lost control of the situation so he backed off. You can see it in his eyes that he made a mistake. You call a double technical, I think double technical is fine. But if you did like that on a player, read the rule book, that should be an ejection. They said they will review it. I said what’s to review? It’s pretty obvious.”

From Spin:

Ryan Gregorio: “I respect the game of Abueva. I think he brings in a lot of positives in the game. However, his (Abueva) extra curricular activities seem to hurt other players. Probably, inadvertently, but still, I thought some were overreactions. The bloodied nose of JD (Dillinger) was a prime example. Damage was done. But I leave it to the league. The PBA has a strict anti-flopping policy. They know better. We don’t like flopping in the league. It’s hard enough for the referees to call the legitimate calls and legitimate non-calls. Now if you fake it, wow, it’s gonna be harder for them (referees to make the right call)."

Also from Spin:

Dillinger: “Well, Calvin is known a little bit of a flopper here and there, but that’s part of his game,” “The rift between me and Calvin, I fully understand. That’s two men going after the ball with emotions flying,” “The game is on the line, but i have nothing against him (Abueva). I know he was going hard. I’m going hard, but sometimes, emotions overflow a little bit. Both teams knew the importance of this game, so both teams played it like it was a playoff game,”

Calvin Abueva: “Wala naman akong sinabi eh, siya (Dillinger) ang napikon. Kailangan lang namin ibalik yung laro namin na nagpapanalo kami,”

Also from Spin:

Uytengsu: "I don't think the fine could do anything. I think the player should be kicked out (of the game) and (that) may change the complexion of the game. At this point I think the league can't fix the mistake they've made, hopefully they just do something about it but honestly it's just very disappointing. The league should do the right thing. If you are now telling other players it's okay to strangle another player, I mean, we're supposed to be the professional league, we're supposed to be setting the example. So, I don't know what example we are sending to college players, to the youth. That that's okay? Yes, I think players lose control at some point and I think it's the league's responsibility to step in and punish the players - whether it's an Alaska player, a Meralco player, or any player in the league."

No comments:

Post a Comment