Thursday, October 1, 2026

Yape doubles medal haul for Philippine taekwondo

Candelaria and Yape via POC/PSC Media

One more medal for poomsae.

Jeus Yape captured the bronze medal in the men’s individual poomsae competition Thursday at Toyohashi Gymnasium, adding another medal to the Philippines’ haul in the event.

Just hours after Juliana Candelaria claimed silver in the women’s individual event, Yape delivered a score of 9.0900 to secure third place.

“I’m happy po with my performance. Ginawa ko po ‘yung best ko, ginawa ko po lahat ng makakaya ko,” Yape said in an interview with One Sports.

South Korea’s Yun Kyusung topped the field with a score of 9.3800, while Thailand’s Navin Pinthasute took silver with 9.2800.

Coach Jeordan Domingez credited Yape for overcoming the pressure that comes with competing on the Asian stage.

“I’m so happy for him. I know the feeling because we also competed in this competition before, and I’m very happy and proud of Jeus, together with Mika, because they conquered that fear [of pressure],” Domingez said.

Yape, meanwhile, vowed to build on his performance as he looks ahead to his upcoming competitions.

“Right now I’m happy sa journey ko po, and I’ll just keep moving forward,” he said.

Yape will switch to VR mode as he sees action in virtual taekwondo round of 16 on Friday, 10am (Manila time).

Taekwondo, supported by the Philippine Olympic Committee and the Philippine Sports Commission, now has two medals courtesy of poomsae.

No comments:

Post a Comment