Friday, March 1, 2019

Vitor Belfort joins ONE Championship

He's back. Vitor Belfort returns to the MMA scene.
ONE Championship continues its aggresive moves, officially announcing the signing of Vitor Belfort to be part of its stable of champions.

Vitor is one of the most popular mixed martial artists to come out of Brazil, making his professional debut at the age of 19 back in 1996, kicking off a career spanning a couple of decades and 41 fights. The Phenom claimed titles in both the Heavyweight and Light Heavyweight divisions in two different outfits, while also contending in the Middleweight division. He has victories over some of the best in the sport, including the likes of Randy Couture, Wanderlei Silva, Rich Franklin, Michael Bisping, Luke Rockhold, and Dan Henderson, while also having faced the likes of Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Chuck Liddell, Tito Ortiz, and Lyoto Machida.

Noted for his grappling skills honed under the guidance of Carlson Gracie, Belfort's quick and powerful hands have made him successful in mixed martial arts, as eighteen of his 26 victories have come via knockout.

On making the announcement, ONE Championship Chairman and CEO Chatri Sityodtong shares, "It is with great pleasure and honor that I welcome Vitor Belfort into the ONE Championship family. Vitor is hands down, one of the biggest names in mixed martial arts. He is a legend across the world, and we are thrilled to have him as ONE expands into South America. A World Champion in multiple weight divisions, Vitor is a massive addition to our ever-growing roster of ONE Championship elite athletes. I cannot wait to see his explosive power and his exciting knockout finishes inside the ONE cage."

On making the move, Belfort says, "I have been in this sport since I was 19 years old, and have been fortunate enough to witness its growth and evolution firsthand. I am grateful to so many for this incredible opportunity. First of all, I would like to thank my wife Joana and my children, Davi, Victoria and Kyara for their infinite love and support. My management, Lloyd Pierson and Ballengee Group, guided me through this process with unmatched expertise. I would like to of course thank Chatri Sityodtong and ONE Championship, who gave me this great honor to fight in front of the Asian audience. ONE Championship is the Home of Martial Arts, and I plan to become a ONE World Champion in front of some of the best martial arts fans in the world."

No details yet as to when Belfort will make his ONE Championship debut

No comments:

Post a Comment