Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Folayang returns to Singapore to restart comeback bid

Eduard Folayang in his last fight
The last time Eduard Folayang fought in Singapore, he claimed the biggest victory of his professional career.

His win over Shinya Aoki at ONE: Defending Honor back in November 2016 was a result few, if not no one, expected. Folayang drove a hard knee to the then-ONE Lightweight World Champion, then unleashed a barrage of punches that eventually forced referee Yuji Shimada to stop the fight in the third round. Aoki had been considered as one of the most dominant Asian mixed martial artists in recent years.

Fast forward to May 18, the man called "Landslide" returns to the city-state to fight the undefeated Russian prospect Kharun Atlangeriev as part of the undercard for ONE: Unstoppable Dream inside the Singapore Indoor Stadium.

Eduard says, "Singapore is where I won the title. I was the underdog in that title bout against Shinya Aoki, but I managed to pull off the upset win. It was so memorable. The country will always be dear to my heart." He adds, "Singapore is an awesome country. The venue is so awesome. It’s truly world-class. The energy is palpable. I won’t say it’s my home court, but it gives me the motivation and inspiration because it is the place where I became the champion."

After losing his title to Martin Nguyen, Folayang admitted that he was at a loss as to how he could address his defeat. He bares, "It was hard to talk about it for a time Finding the right words to describe what I was feeling was a challenge, even for myself." He adds, "I think that is just how it goes for me after a tough loss. Losing is not new to me, but it is also an opportunity for me to take a step back and try to pick up the pieces."

Ultimately, the Team Lakay standout decided to take an extended break in order to understand and break down the errors that cost him the title. "I needed the time off to realize where I went wrong – whether that was in my preparations or in the fight itself. I wanted to know where I had miscalculated. I reviewed every angle, and I really took the time to look at my mistakes."

He also acknowledged that the extended break allowed him to relax and ease his mind. "I am a firm believer that this game is mental, first and foremost. After you get your mind right, then you can start to work on the physical aspect of it all. It does not matter how strong you are; if you are not in the right frame of mind, you cannot move forward."

Armed with a fresh outlook, Folayang declares that he is ready for the quest to reclaim the title. "I am more motivated than ever. I am definitely looking forward to what 2018 is going to bring. I am laser-focused, and I am confident that I can get the world title back."

His road towards reclaiming the title will not be easy, as his first fight since losing the title will be against the man called "the Predator." Atlangeriev has won all eleven of his fights, with only one of them going the full distance.

Folayang says, "I won't take any opponent for granted, especially not someone as talented as my opponent on May 18. I still have much to do in the sport of mixed martial arts. I'm going to kick off the next chapter of my career against one of the top prospects in this promotion"

He concludes, "You win some, and you lose some. It is part of being an athlete. Despite the losses, I remain as motivated and as determined as ever. One loss will not stop me from reaching for the stars and chasing my dreams. I am working harder than ever to get back to championship form. A different ‘Landslide’ is ready to emerge from the rubble."

No comments:

Post a Comment