Friday, November 5, 2021

Filipino-American Jordan Williams set for UFC 268

Bomaye set to take part at UFC 268

Expected to make headlines at the much-anticipated UFC 268 this weekend is the rematch between Kamaru Usman and Colby Covington for the welterweight title. Also deserving some attention is another rematch, this time between Rose Namajunas and Zhang Weili for the women's strawweight title, the co-main to the Usman-Covington main event.

However, someone that potentially could warrant some attention to Filipino fight fanatics in particular is tucked away in the Prelims.

In fact, opening the prelims portion of UFC 268 is a matchup between Jordan Williams and Ian Garry. Whilst the latter is making his UFC debut after winning his first seven fights, the former still seeks his first official win inside the Octagon.

Williams earned his way into the UFC through the Dana White's Contender Series. After a no-contest against Tim Caron back in 2018 and a loss against Ramazan Kuramagomedov in 2019, he broke through with knockout victory over Gregory Rodrigues in September 2020.

He shares, "I fought my way into the UFC. I am going to do my best to stay there. It is electrifying to be here in the UFC. I was a mix of emotions to be in the UFC after putting in a decade of work. I was dancing, crying, smiling..."

That paved the way for a couple of fights inside the Octagon, a unanimous decision loss against Nassourdine Imavov in Fight Night: Holm vs Aldana last October 2020 and a submission defeat against Mickey Gall at Fight Night: Sandhagen vs Dillashaw this past July.

Facing Garry, who earned his ticket into the UFC with his experience at Cage Warriors, Jordan says, "It’s going to be a technical match-up. He’s (Ian) a very good striker and his IQ is far from where his career is supposed to be. He mixes it up a lot. I like the match-up. It’s going to be a big match. At this point, I need to prove I belong."

He adds, "I need to derail his hype train and put myself on those tracks."

The man called "Bomaye" has a multi-faceted ancestry, having American, German, Nigerian, and Filipino ancestry. His Filipino heritage can be traced to his grandfather, who came over to the United States via the US Navy. Jordan is very much proud of his roots, showcasing all of them with tattoos on his right shoulder, or also known as his "heritage shoulder."

Jordan concludes, "I got into MMA because while wrestling in school, my friends and I saw Anderson Silva fight. He was such an inspiration. I would also like to draw inspiration and support from my Filipino roots this Sunday at UFC 268."

UFC 268, which is taking place inside the world-famous Madison Square Garden, will be available locally through the Premier Sports Channel, which is on Channel 272 HD on Cignal and HD 176 or SD 140 (Mega Manila) or HD 761 or SD 307 on Sky. Make sure to check your cable provider for further details.

It is also available through the TapGo Premium Plus plan on the TapGo app, which one can avail at PhP 599/monthly.

No comments:

Post a Comment